Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Meet - Cyndi Tefft


As part of the Even in Darkness Blog Tour, today I am very pleased to have Cyndi Tefft, the author of Even Darkness here at Pinky's Favorite Reads.

Welcome Cyndi !

 
Where are you from originally?
I’m a Pacific Northwest gal, used to the rain after all these years. I don’t tan, sadly, but have two skin shades: white and red!
 
Tell us your latest news?
I just finished outlining the fourth and final book in the Between series, which I’m pretty excited about! After I’m finished with that, I have a couple more books on the backburner. Both are romance, but one is adult and the other is YA.

If you could have a dinner party with any author from any time in history, who would you choose and why?
Robert Burns is the poet laureate of Scotland and was also quite the ladies’ man in his day. I would love to spend an evening at his side during a party to see him in action (not to mention basking in his glorious Scottish accent!).

What books or authors have influenced your writing?
Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series started me reading after so many years of only reading off and on, but it was Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series that made me fall in love with reading (and with Scotland).
 
What book are you reading now and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?
I just started reading The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein, a fellow Seattle author (hardback). It’s not my typical read, as I usually read romance novels, but I like to branch out now and then.
 
Tell us a little about your background. When did you start writing?
In 2009, I was watching a video online with Stephenie Meyer where she noted that she was a stay at home mom who had a dream that she wrote down. It didn’t sound complicated, this writing business, so I thought I’d give it a try to see if I could write something from beginning to end (never thinking that I’d publish it). I didn’t think I’d see it through, honestly, as I have a habit of diving into things and not finishing them. But the book took on a life of its own and I was hooked!
 
Do you write full-time now?
Sadly, no. I would love to sell so many books that I could become a full-time writer, but until that day comes, it’s just a hobby, something I do on evenings and weekends.
 
Where do you get your ideas?
I often get my ideas while driving to and from work, since it’s alone time where I can be quiet or talk out loud without it being weird. On long drives, my husband is subjected to my brainstorming process, too!
 
What is your writing process?
I usually write on Saturday mornings at Panera. I put on my headphones, pull out my laptop, and give it my best. I don’t write very fast; my normal word count on any given day is around 1000. So you can see why it takes me a year to write a book!
 
Can you tell us a little bit about Even in Darkness?
As the third book in the series, Even In Darkness picks up where Hell Transporter left off, but goes in a surprising direction. The book is full of twists and turns, but allows us to go back to the land between earth and heaven, since I had so much fun writing in that realm. It’s hard to talk about it without any spoilers!
 
How long did it take you to complete?
It took about nine months to write and three months to edit the book. I’ve been releasing books roughly once per year.
 
Are any of your characters based on real-life friends or acquaintances?
I wish I knew an Aiden MacRae in real life! LOL I would say that writing characters is like taking everyone you know and putting their personalities in a blender, and then pouring them out onto the page. There are certainly aspects of my friends and family in there, but no specific character is based on someone I know. 
 
Do you ever incorporate yourself into your characters?
Of course! There is much of me in Lindsey, especially since the book is written from the first person point of view. She reacts to situations similar to what I’d imagine I would do. However, there are aspects of her personality that differ from mine, and that was purposeful.
 
Tell us about your cover. Did you design it yourself?
I love the covers of all the Between novels, but this one in particular! The artwork was done by a man named Caner who lives in Turkey. He has some wonderful creations on Deviant Art. All of my book covers have been designed by Woulds & Shoulds Editing and Design. I highly recommend them!
 
Where did you get the inspiration for your cover?
I was really torn on what to do for the cover of this book and I cycled through several ideas. I saw Caner’s artwork on a Paranormal Romance Blog site through Facebook and instantly knew it was the one. So I contacted the artist and he graciously agreed to let me use it. He is extremely talented!
 
Does your reading inspire you and your work?
Absolutely! I read nearly 100 books a year (and I would read more if I could squeeze them in) and I take something away from every book I read. Sometimes I learn how to write better in reading a fantastic book, and sometimes it’s how not to write when I come across a book that doesn’t ring true to me. But I’m always learning, always gleaning insights from other authors and their work.
 
Where can we find you online?
Thanks for having me on the blog and for participating in the Even In Darkness tour! I love connecting with readers, so here are some links to make that easy:

Blog: www.cynditefft.com
Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cynditefft/videos?view_as=public
 
 
Giveaway
  
a Rafflecopter giveaway

Even In Darkness

I thought it was over, that all our troubles were behind us.

We had a fairytale castle wedding surrounded by family and friends. Aiden wore a dress kilt, looking so handsome it made my heart squeeze, and I floated on air in a white version of the ball gown he’d cast for me in Versailles. Flower girl, ring bearer, Scottish ceilidh afterward—check, check, and check. It was perfect.
 
We were supposed to live happily ever after.
But that was before I walked in to find another woman in his bed, a demon with blood red eyes who’d disguised herself as me in order to get what she wanted most: a child from a heaven transporter.
And it was in that moment—watching my entire world crumble to the ground—that I knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment